Thursday 19 January 2017

Foibles

Not sure how this picture relates to this blog post but I went to www.pixabay.com and searched for foibles, and got this.

Today I thought that I'd write about the foibles, aka the little irrational actions, that we take in our lives.  It was kicked off by one of my colleagues, who revealed that she doesn't like eating foods with different textures at the same time.  Instead, she'll eat each different texture in turn - so if she's having a roast dinner, for example, she'll have the chicken, then the potatoes, then the broccoli, and so on.  I tried her with a number of different scenarios, and for each one she came up with how she'd eat it without having to tackle multiple textures in one go.

I told her that she was weird, went home, told my wife, and she promptly told me about someone she knew who did exactly the same thing.  So perhaps it's more common than I first thought.  Other foibles could be not standing on cracks in the pavement, or not walking under ladders.

Anyhow, it's not fair for me to write without revealing some of my own foibles, so here goes:

Sneezing out of windows.  I like to sneeze out of windows. Okay, I don't mean that, when walking past a window, I think "oh hey, maybe I should hang out here for a while in case I need to sneeze!". What I mean is, depending on what is on the other side of the window, potentially it's an efficient way for dealing with a sneeze.

A particular example is at home, when I'm chopping up vegetables or meat for cooking, if I feel a sneeze coming on, I can go to the window, sneeze out of it (and on the other side of the window is a corner of the back garden patio with a couple of plants in pots, nothing particularly troublesome) and return to cooking.  This way I'm not getting germs on my hands when working with food (I do wash my hands whenever I need to, I feel the need to add!)

When I've been at a friends house, when it comes to time for me to leave, I'll sigh, prior to saying something along the lines of "Right, I'd better be off".  The sigh always happens.  I don't know - for me, I just feel that I need to precede the farewell line with something, some sort of noise. Maybe I'll carry a kazoo around with me so that in future I can give a little tune as notice that I'm preparing to leave.

And when it comes to eating food, I have another foible, which is I tackle food by eating my least favourite foods first.  Tonight this backfired on me, as we had pasta with vegetables and bacon, but by the time I'd eaten the vegetables, and subsequently the pasta, I was too full to eat all the bacon. This makes perfect sense to me, as it means that when you're starting to feel full you keep eating because it's the really nice food left.  But I don't know of anyone else that does this.

What's your little foibles (or are you foible-less)? Let me know in the comments! :)

3 comments:

  1. I do exactly the same with food, especially a roast dinner. I eat least favourite to favourite. The only exception is the Yorkshire pudding which I eat first (because it should be a separate starter).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm led to understand in some parts of the world that the Yorkshire pudding is eaten last, with jam!

      Delete
  2. DR EMU WHO HELP PEOPLE IN ANY TYPE OF LOTTERY NUMBERS
    It is a very hard situation when playing the lottery and never won, or keep winning low fund not up to 100 bucks, i have been a victim of such a tough life, the biggest fund i have ever won was 100 bucks, and i have been playing lottery for almost 12 years now, things suddenly change the moment i came across a secret online, a testimony of a spell caster called dr emu, who help people in any type of lottery numbers, i was not easily convinced, but i decided to give try, now i am a proud lottery winner with the help of dr emu, i won $1,000.0000.00 and i am making this known to every one out there who have been trying all day to win the lottery, believe me this is the only way to win the lottery.

    Contact him on email Emutemple@gmail.com
    What's app +2347012841542
    Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/
    Https://web.facebook.com/Emu-Temple-104891335203341

    ReplyDelete

TOTS 100 - UK Parent Blogs
familyholidays.co.uk
Paperblog BlogCatalog