Wednesday 29 July 2015

Book Fangirling Award

I wasn't going to blog tonight, but it's the eve of my thirty third birthday, so why not - let's make this happen!


So, I got nominated by my blogging friend Tim of Life, Explained for the "Book Fangirling Blog Award".  This is very nice, because I like to be nominated for stuff :)

Firstly, thanks to Tim for nominating me, it's much appreciated.

Secondly, I have to answer Tim's book-related questions.  Okay, here goes:


1. I have reread several books, just because I love them. Do you do that, if so which book have your read the most?

Yes I do, I tend to reread the same books even though there are loads of others that I want to read - it's something about how, if I just want to relax with a book, a book that I've already read is "easier" to read than a brand new one, which I tend to save for holidays.  I really don't know which book I've read the most, but it's quite possibly "The Man on Platform 5" by Robert Llewellyn, because it's a great novel.



2. Is there a time you think Fiction, no Non-Fiction? Sometimes I have to read something real.

Yes I agree with you there, for example if I'm on a train, probably going to/from a work meeting, if I'm not actually working (it might be that I haven't got my laptop with me, or I have but there just isn't room for me to work on it - I was coming back from London late on Monday, and even though I was at a table, the other 3 people around the table had loaded the table up with their stuff and there really wasn't room for me to get the laptop out) I prefer to read something like a newspaper, or a work-related magazine, because that's the mood I'm in, while if I've got half an hour on a weekend to read, it'll be a fiction book.



3. I love certain authors for the way they write, they way they can craft a sentence, a good sentence is wonderful. Do you have any books that you feel are just beautifully written, works of art?

Hmm... yes, I think the authors that I would attribute this to are Dan Abnett and Bill Bryson, both are, whilst very different, excellent writers who can come out with a fantastic turn of phrase. For Dan Abnett, Know No Fear springs to mind, its probably the one Horus Heresy book that I've reread the most. For Bill Bryson I struggle to think of a single book, but "I'm A Stranger Here Myself" was the first one I read and which hooked me into buying the rest of his books.





4. When I was young I bought a used book at a second hand store called "The Beast Regiment." it was great, and I haven't been able to find a copy since then. Do you have any ideas for me?


It's hard for me to say without knowing what "The Beast Regiment" was like, but for an enjoyable book I'd suggest (drawing on my last answer) "Neither Here, Nor There: Travels in Europe" by Bill Bryson. It's a few years old now but great to read.

5. Writing is personal, reading is solitary. But sharing a great book is such a joy. Do you think books are the beauty that can save the world?

Of course!  I think books are important even in this Internet-dominated world, because to read a book is to invest your time.  You can't skim through a book in a few seconds like you can a webpage, or even a YouTube video.



Now, I'm supposed to nominate some other people, and give them a list of questions, and I'm really sorry, but I'm not going to, because quite a few of the people that spring to mind have just had this nomination already.  Although I'm tempted to nominate Jeremy Crow anyway just to see what he does this time (see last time he got nominated here!)

Thanks for reading! :)

4 comments:

  1. Good thing you didn't because I am reading a book on Voodoo ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Were there supposed to be words in the white strips? or was this a joke that we are supposed to be able to guess the questions?
    Can I ask Jeremy Crow which book he is reading - voodoo is one of my pet subjects

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Formatting error! Sorry, now fixed. When I paste text into Blogger it looks okay on my editing screen but when you post it it sometimes goes white.

      Delete
    2. Jeremy is reading am reading Mystic Shores by Cathy McElhaney http://www.amazon.com/Mystic-Shores-Cathy-McElhaney-ebook/dp/B00ZVFZNYM/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1438702186&sr=1-1&keywords=mystic+shores

      Delete

TOTS 100 - UK Parent Blogs
familyholidays.co.uk
Paperblog BlogCatalog